Friday, November 15, 2013

Autism

When I was a preschool teacher, I worked with several students who were diagnosed with Autism.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think that those experiences would be my life with my own child.  We had blood work done and found that Kellen's autism is not genetic.  I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.  I was scared that Grayson would follow in his bothers foot steps, but since its not genetic Grayson will not simply be autistic just because his brother is.  I know that this is a new part of my life and I will love my son as much as I did before the diagnosis, I just know that our way of thinking and reacting to him will be more of a challenge and make me learn to be more patient that I already was.  However, I just have to say that once a child is diagnosed it is extremely overwhelming.  We were in the beginning of dealing with Evan's accident (and we are still really dealing with it) so God has given us a very full plate.  I know this challenge wouldn't be given to us if God knew we couldn't master it and I am mastering it.  I've made hundreds of phone calls, talked to some of the very best doctors and and learning what the best is for Kellen.  Now that everything is becoming more organized its not as scary as it once was.  So far this is what we are doing for Kellen: I need to write this down for my own record and if anyone reading this is in the same place as we are, hopefully this will help.

He went back to see the dr who diagnosed him with Autism (Dr. Adrian Saunders with Olsen Huff, he is no doubt one of the very best) and the appointment went really well. The work I've been doing with him since staying home has helped. Here is a list of treatment that I have enrolled him in: Speech, Occupational Therapy, Behavior Counseling, the TEACCH program (to help with his Autism and for me and Evan to learn how to help him) he goes back to see Dr Saunders every couple months, I am enrolling him in swimming since I've been told that this is a great form of exercise for him, and a parent support group for me and Evan, and the Children's Development Center wants to start seeing him too.

I am amazed to learn about all the help that is out there for him!  I am also going to contact our local schools and enroll him part time in a program to expose him to more professionals and allow him to have some fun with other kids his age.  I am very excited about that!  The hard part is finding these programs, but since I ask about 10000 questions, I am learning so much!

If anyone has any additional information, please let me know. 

 

No comments: