Friday, May 17, 2013

To the mom...

Today I was looking on my news feed on facebook and saw this post.  I teared up instantly and feel in love with this message.  I haven't said much about this, but there is something that is really bothering me.  I've been breastfeeding Grayson since the day he was born.  But its been a struggle with my milk supply.  For me, breast feeding was a personal goal.  I want so badly to breastfeed Grayson for 12 months, just like I did for Kellen.  But, as I mentioned my supply has been taking a beating for several months now.  When Evan had his accident I either got the worst tummy bug in my life, or I had food poisoning.  I got so dehydrated that I went from making 24 ounces of milk to 2 ounces in 1 day!!!!  I started pumping more often and for longer amounts of time.  I started taking an organic herb remedy called "Lactation Support" by Gaia Herbs.  This stuff is awesome!  It helped me make at least an extra 12 oz a day!  But, my body is tiring (especially from the stress of whats been happening in our life) and even the herbs aren't helping me anymore, but they did for a good 4-5 months!  I also rented a hospital grade pump, but I don't think that helped as much as I had hoped.  I think I am going to return it this week.  Anyways, back to my point, Grayson is 10 months old today, and I am hoping that I can hang in there for just 2 more months!!!!  I know that Grayson is very healthy, and I've done a great job breastfeeding for as long as I have, but it still hurts me so much to know that soon I won't be making anymore milk for him.  I don't think anyone understands how upsetting this is unless you've been a breast feeding mommy.  The only way I can explain it is for the 9 months that Grayson was inside me, I was 100% his life line.  I was all he had and all he needed.  Then he was born and my milk is what kept him alive and growing and healthy and he had to have me.  Now all of sudden it feels like he doesn't need me anymore.  I feel like my body is in a way letting him down.  I know, its dramatic, but hey, that's me.  That's how my crazy brain works.  Evan keeps reassuring me that I've done a great job and am a great mommy.  My friends are trying to lift me up and make me feel good about what I've done for the past 10 months, but it was this message that made me feel SO much better.  I just had to share it and save it on my blog.  
 
To the mom who's breastfeeding: Way to go! It really is an amazing gift to give your baby, for any amount of time that you can manage!  You're a good mom.

To the mom who's formula feeding: Isn't science amazing? To think there was a time when a baby with a mother who couldn't produce enough would suffer, but now? Better living through chemistry! You're a good mom.

To the cloth diapering mom: Fluffy bums are the cutest, and so friendly on the bank account. You're a good mom.

To the disposable diapering mom: Damn those things hold a lot, and it's excellent to not worry about leakage and laundry! You're a good mom.

To the mom who stays home: I can imagine it isn't easy doing what you do, but to spend those precious years with your babies must be amazing. You're a good mom.

To the mom who works: It's wonderful that you're sticking to your career, you're a positive role model for your children in so many ways, it's fantastic. You're a good mom.

To the mom who had to feed her kids from the drive thru all week because you're too worn out to cook or go grocery shopping: You're feeding your kids, and hey, I bet they aren't complaining! Sometimes sanity can indeed be found in a red box with a big yellow M on it. You're a good mom.

To the mom who gave her kids a homecooked breakfast lunch and dinner for the past week: Excellent! Good nutrition is important, and they're learning to enjoy healthy foods at an early age, a boon for the rest of their lives. You're a good mom.

To the mom with the kids who are sitting quietly and using their manners in the fancy restaurant: Kudos, it takes a lot to maintain order with children in a place where they can't run around. You're a good mom.

To the mom with the toddler having a meltdown in the cereal aisle: they always seem to pick the most embarrassing places to lose their minds don't they? We've all been through it. You're a good mom.

To the moms who judge other moms for ANY of the above? Glass houses, friend. Glass houses.

No comments: