Saturday, July 28, 2012

We're Having a Baby! Part 3

We got home around 6:30 pm on Tuesday, and were greeted by a very hyper Kellen, and Stacey and Amber had prepared dinner for us.  The rest of the night is very blurry.  I remember eating, but thats about it.  It had been 48 hours with no sleep.  Grayson's first night home was rough.  As expected!!!  He was up every hour wanting to nurse.  We started having latch issues the first night home.  I think he was so hungry that he was getting impatient with me.  I was only producing a little colostrum, not near enough to satisfy this very hungry boy! 

Since the pediatrician gave us the ok to go home early, we were asked to take Grayson to his pediatrician the following day.  His bilirubin levels were a little elevated so they wanted to retest him.  Kellen's bilirubin levels were really high and required light therapy with a bili-blanket, so I knew that I had to do everything I could to make sure that Grayson didn't have to go through that.  So, I breast fed him as often as I could and even supplemented formula while I waited for my milk to come in.  When a baby has jaundice you have to try and get as much milk to the baby as possible to help flush out the bilirubin.  So that is what I did.  It was easy for me to supplement with formula.  All that matters to me is that my baby didn't have to get the needle stuck in his foot multiple times as he would be tested over and over for jaundice.  Evan stayed home with Kellen, and Stacey and I took Grayson to the pediatrician.

Sweet baby feet on the way to the pediatrician.  All I could think was, please don't hurt my baby when you prick this little foot!!!

At the pediatrician for the first time.  Grayson had dropped a little weight.  And I expected it.  He now weighed 8 lbs 14 oz.  Not bad at all!!!!

Waiting...

He got his foot pricked and didn't even cry!!!!  In fact as soon as it was done he passed out!

His results came back after a 20 minute wait.  His levels were still a little high, but not as they were in the hospital.  No more foot pricks were needed!!!!  All we had to do was keep watch on his skin color and keep breast feeding and supplementing!!!  I can't tell you how relieved I was that I had made the right decision to supplement!

Later that night we all just relaxed.  And took some more pics!  This was the first night that Kellen began checking his new brother out.  This was the moment I had been waiting for and a moment that I will never forget!!!



I can't believe this little monster was in my belly!!!

Grayson checking out his bed for the first time.

Stacey's last night with us. :(  She worked her butt off the entire 10 days she was with us!  I've never known anyone like her.  She is my rock.  I have so much love and respect for this woman.  I don't think she knows how much I need and appreciate her.  She took care of me and my family the entire time she was here.  She was my double!  I love that I have her!!!  


A happy Kellen!  


Grayson had to wear his tyedye onsie to see Aunt Tae Tae off...

Getting his bath...

And he hated it!

Stacey left on Saturday evening, around 5pm.  I cried like crazy!  I love it when I see her and I get so excited, but seeing her leave hurts so bad!  I miss her more and more.  I would give anything to live near my sister again.  An hour later our long time friend Tom Whitney came for a quick visit from Pittsburgh!  Kellen was incredibly hyper, he was upset that Stacey had left, and Evan and I were exhausted, but we REALLY missed Tom and was so happy that he was in town.  So, he came over for dinner.  He was so good with Kellen, and Kellen warmed up to him so fast!  We are sure that we must have been horrible hosts, but Tom is an awesome guy and I know that he wasn't offended by my lack of hospitality!



Tom left around 10pm that night so we all tried to get some sleep.  Charlene and Les were expected to arrive the following day.  So, Sunday morning and afternoon Evan, Kellen, Grayson and I were for the first time home on our own.  It wasn't too bad!  We just relaxed and spent some time together as a family of four.


Charlene and Les arrived around 7pm that night.

Sweet Grayson!  He always has his little hands folded just perfectly around his face!

PapPap and Kellen time.

Char's 2 boys...

Char's 3 boys...

Grayson is 1 week old!!!!

The cutest video!!!  8 day old Grayson.

Martz Family picture.  Too bad Hyla wasn't here.  Look at my crazy Kell-Zilla!  

My little family, plus Kaden minus Sophia.

Kellen LOVES hanging out with the boys.  He wanted to help them with all the boy stuff.  So cute!

My sweet baby boys!!!  

I think that Kellen loves his brother...don't you? :)

So, I think that's it.  All caught up.  Its been an amazing journey so far.  I know its just begun! I hope I've captured all the details and hope to never forget the most beautiful couple weeks.  Today is July 28 and Grayson's umbilical stump fell off!  But, I did get tons of pictures with it on.  One more milestone which completes his newborn phase.  And he is just about out of his newborn clothes, some wont fit at all, like his onsies are way too small.  He practically skipped wearing newborn diapers, but since I had so many I am trying to use as many up as I can.  So, he is now wearing 0-3 clothes and size 1 diapers.  He is already growing up too fast.

I love my boys!  Thank you Evan, Kellen, Stacey, Jen, Jason, Charlene, Les, Amber and Hyla.  I am forever grateful.  I love you all with all my heart.  You've made these blog entries possible. :)  I can't wait to write more!!!




1 comment:

arizona gynecologist said...

Another angel. Im so happy for you guys.