Friday, July 27, 2012

We're Having a Baby! Part 2

So, at 12:15am we arrive at the hospital (Evan went 70 the whole way there!).  I can feel the contractions coming on every 4 minutes.  We park the car and bam, there is another one.  I was getting worried that I was going to have the baby in the car! We were going to  go to the emergency entrance, but I didn't want Evan to have to leave my side, so I made myself walk into the hospital.  Evan was trying to help hold me up, just as we were crossing the street bam, another one.  I just hunched over and continued to walk.  We got in and immediately the receptionist knew what was going on and she grabbed a wheel chair for me.  Evan quickly zoomed down the corridor and got me to the L&D floor.  I got in, a little paper work was done.  I have no idea why I had to do my paper work now!  I was having contractions every 2 minutes and had to stop talking just to be able to breathe!!  After all the paper wok was done I was taken to the pre-op area.  I was hooked up to the monitors and we heard the heartbeat, just as perfect as could be.  I was now worrying about his heart rate during my contractions, but he was strong and didn't waver at all.  We sat there for what seemed to be forever, but it was only 15 minutes!  I really wanted to see when Stacey and Jen were going to be there, I needed my girls!  But, they were with Kellen, which was really putting my mind at ease since I was also worried about Kellen freaking out since he had just been taken out of his bed and driven to our friend's house.  A nurse came in and checked.  By 12:30am I was 5cms dilated and 100% effaced.  I was admitted.  I was asked to walk to my room.  I will never under estimate my strength again.  At the time I didn't think about anything except getting to my room with a gold plated epidural waiting for me but I had to walk through each contraction down the winding hallways to my room.  All I kept reminding myself of was a story a friend had reminded me of; women who had to give birth alone in the woods with just a leather strap to bite on to help ease the pain.  My God, I could walk to my room with my head held high and suck up the pain.  After all I would get an epidural!  I needed to remember what this is like, what it's like to REALLY feel my baby coming into our world.  I remember feeling so blessed to be able to experience this.  At 1:00am, I was taken up to my room, changed and situated in bed.  At this point the contractions were coming on every 1-2 minutes.  They hurt so bad, I could hardly breathe!  The nurse started to try and calm me down during them, but when she was left the room I was a mess!  The IV was inserted in my arm, up high, in my forearm.  It was so uncomfortable!  And I felt that stupid needle the entire time!  My dr came in and asked if I wanted an epidural, I told her yes, as soon as possible.  The anesthesiologist came in and told me that he was about to head in to surgery and that I would have to wait an hour for the epidural.  *sigh*.  Ok.  I told Evan I could do this, but he needed to help talk me though each one.  He tried to help, but my goodness I was a mess!  An hour came and went.  Two hours came and went.  I was starting to get mad.  I was told an hour, and now its been 2 hours, I am ready for my epidural NOW!!!

At 3:15am I finally got my epidural.  R.E.L.I.E.F.

Looking back, I am glad that Stacey and Jen weren't there for the contractions show!  I was a raging lunatic!!!  They left a wide awake and very hyper Kellen with Jason and arrived in my room at 3:45am.  We all hung out and talked until I got so tired I had to close my eyes.  Thank God I opted for that epidural!

At around 7:30am I felt a need to push.  So, that's what I did!  I pushed and pushed and pushed.  I tried so many different pushing positions.  An hour later, nothing.  I was just completely wiped out and feeling very nauseous.  I seriously could do no more.  I laid on my side, got a shot of Zofran (the same medicine I took early in my pregnancy for the morning sickness).  As soon as I got that shot I got really sick.  After that went away I passed out.  Everyone except Evan left the room for about 30 minutes and I slept, hard.


Around 9:00am I felt strong and started pushing again. Jen, Stacey and Evan all took turns holding my ankles to help me push.  I hand the best support team!  I am SO glad that they were there for me.  I will never forget this day.  Even through all the pain and uncomfortableness, I enjoyed every single moment!


And finally, at 10:38am Grayson was here!!!!!!!!!!!  I burst into tears.  I couldn't believe it, he was finally here.  The nurse lifted my gown and laid his warm body on mine.  I scooped him up, umbilical cord still attached and cried such happy tears!  What a beautiful moment, my God, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!
 





After some sweet bonding time the nurses weighed Grayson.  I had NO idea what a big baby I was now holding in my arms.  I knew he was going to be bigger than Kellen, who came 3 weeks early and weighed 6 lbs 10 oz, 19 inches long.  I knew it because I could feel him in my belly, I could feel the weight that I was carrying around.  They put him on the scale...


WHAT?!?!?!?  9 pounds?!?!?!  I thought that the nurses were playing a joke on me, so they did it again.  And his official weight was 9 lbs 9.4 ounces.  22 inches long.  Unbelievable!  My big boy! 

He scored perfectly on his APGARs and was then placed for the first time in Evan's arms.




We took turns holding him and studying each little tiny feature and loving him more and more.


We took a picture of my girls...


Holding hands.  Look how blue he still was!

 Our perfect baby boy Grayson!!!


After about 3 hours we were taken the the Mommy Baby unit.  Shortly after arriving Grayson got his first bath and I changed him for the first time.  I have to admit, I was a little nervous changing his diaper!  It was much different than changing Kellen's diaper!  And he peed on me!!!  His first night he was up a lot.  As to be expected, he was up every hour- hour and a half.  We were nursing SO well!  He latched right on like a pro!  I know it wasn't because of me, he just knew how to do it! 



This was his actual first outfit after his first bath and diaper change.


More snuggles...

 Loving his Aunt Tae Tae...

The second day in the hospital.  Everything was going really well.  Grayson was circumcised and his hearing was tested.  He did SO well!  Such a strong little boy!  They tested his bilirubin in the hospital, and it turned out to be just a little high.  However, Dr. Pascal said that it wasn't high enough to be concerned, but he wanted Grayson's pediatrician to see him on Wednesday for his check up and another bili test.  We were offered to either stay one more night or be discharged.  I was ready to go home...sort of...I felt scared, tired and hurting, but I missed Kellen.  So I decided to go home.  Evan brought Kellen to visit me and I got my first taste of what our life would be like...extremely hectic!!!  BUT- a new life and one that I wouldn't change for anything in the world.


Stacey took Kellen home while Evan stayed with me.  She and Amber came to our home and prepared dinner.  I dressed Grayson in his coming home outfit.

In the car and on our way home!!!


So...now it begins.  My new life as a mom of 2 boys. I am terrified!  I don't know how to juggle giving both boys all the attention they need and deserve.  I am worried that Kellen will feel left out.  After all, all his life until now its been so quiet and all about him.  Once things settle down a little, after all our company leaves I am going to work very hard at putting together some type of schedule.  But for now I am going to keep my chin up and enjoy these first days as a mommy of tow boys.  Even though it is insanely hectic, I know that these days will be over before I know it and I don't want to miss a single second.

Thank you Evan for making me a mommy again.  I am so thankful for my boys.  God is good!

Soon I will update with our first night home, more adventures with Aunt Tae Tae, Grayson's first drs appointment, and our visit with Tom Whitney, and Char Char and PapPap.

Ok, one more picture!!!






1 comment:

kate eryn said...

Great story!! Love it. Thank you for sharing...I'm reading everything I can get mah hands on for my October baby :) Loved the pics!
- Mrs.Win (TMP)