Sunday, March 11, 2012

22 Weeks!!! And clocks!

This week as been so busy!  Evan ended up clocking almost 70 hours.  Today is the first day I've seen him since last Sunday.  So, this will be short and sweet!  I will blog about the rest of my busy week later. :) I have lots of pictures to share and a few videos too!  But as of yesterday I hit 22 weeks!  I've noticed a lot of change in my body so I wanted to make sure I documented this!


How far along? 22 weeks and 1 day!  

Total weight gain: 13 pounds.  And all 13 pounds are distributed in my boobs and belly!  I am feeling the weight strain on my lower back now.  A heating pad at night while I watch TV in bed is a must.

Size of Baby: 11 inches and almost 1 pound 

Maternity clothes? Of course!  I love maternity clothes.  They are so comfy!  I am going to scratch this question soon since I will be in maternity clothes from here on out.


Stretch marks? Nothing yet.  I don't like this question.  I might scratch it from my list and replace it with another question.


Sleep: This past week I've slept pretty good.  I've been doing stretches morning and night to help with the hip pains that I get, so that's really helped me.

 
Best moment this week: Since my blog is about my journey through pregnancy and being a mom of a toddler my best moment can include both!  Best pregnancy moment- that is every single time I feel my baby boy kick me.  Its absolutely the most reassuring feeling in the world.  Best mommy moment- that was when a very important friend in my life told me that I am a good mommy.  That made my week! 


Miss Anything? Not a thing!  I am going to scratch this question too.  I don't ever see myself missing anything while I am pregnant.  I enjoy every moment clear up until the end of pregnancy.  In fact, with Kellen, I missed being pregnant after I had him.  So, no, I do not and will not miss anything. 


Movement: Yes!!!  My little boy has been kicking me all over the place.  I've noticed that he kicks me pretty much all day long.  The kicks tend to be on my bladder and low to the right.  He is in the breach position, so those kicks makes sense to me.

Food cravings: This is my favorite question!  I am craving steaks and burgers this week!  Oh and shrimp and grits!  YUM!  I told Evan that I am going to order some Shrimp and Grits this Friday!  Can't wait!  If you've ever had Southern Shrimp and Grits, you know that there are so many ingredients in it, so it makes sense not to make it myself.  It is sooooo good!  Can you tell how much I am craving this?  Friday can't come fast enough!


Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope! YAY!


Gender: Sweet Pea is a BOY!  We still don't have a name yet!  We've been given so many great suggestions but we haven't officially come up with a name.  We have a middle name in mind and will probably use it, but still no first name.  I don't need to have it for at least another month, so hopefully by the time I start creating his nursery we will have the name so I can do a little monogramming. 


Labor Signs: None


Symptoms:  I know I am not laboring yet, but I can tell that my body is preparing.  I've read that while you are pregnant your body releases a hormone called relaxin.   Basically relaxin relaxes the body'smuscles, joints, and ligaments. It allows the joints of the pelvis to stretch during delivery.  I can feel this hormone preparing my body for delivery.  I can feel it all day and especially when I lay down at night.  I've started to feel Braxton Hicks contractions(BHC) this week too.  They say that BHC can be triggered by standing on your feet for long periods of time and if your getting dehydrated.  So I am trying to drink 64 ounces of water every day.  Some days are easier than others.  My BHC are really uncomfortable.  The pain starts in my belly and then radiates to my back, like back labor but not as bad.  I had them all the time with Kellen.  They started when I hit about 18 weeks, so this time they've held off a little more so hopefully I won't get them as bad as I did with him.

Belly Button in or out? In, but sometimes when I am a little swollen or bloated, it sticks out a little.  I don't like it when it sticks out, I keep trying to poke it back in...that doesn't work too well...


Wedding rings on or off? On and I hope they always stay on!  I never took them off when I was pregnant with Kellen, so hopefully this time will be the same.


Happy or Moody most of the time: 
Happy!

Looking forward to:  Figuring out what we are going to name this sweet little boy! 




This week baby Martz's ears are developed.  Coming from a Speech-Language Pathologist major, this is VERY fascinating to me!

The hands and fingers are clearly visible and the nail beds have been laid down. The baby's fingers will close if the palm of his hand is touched. The tips of the two bones in the forearm, the radius and the ulna, can just be seen in the lower part of this image. 
Your baby's external ears have been developed for some time but for him to hear, the internal ear structures also need to mature. In the middle ear, three bones-the malleus ("hammer"), incus ("anvil"), and stapes ("stirrup")-conduct sound into the inner ear. These bones are formed initially from soft cartilage and embedded within connective tissue. The bones begin to harden and the connective tissue gradually dissolves. This allows the ear drum to vibrate onto the hammer, which passes the movement on to the anvil, and then the stirrup. The vibrations are then passed to the cochlea, a cavity of the inner ear, where they are translated into nerve impulses to be sent to the brain.
At 22 weeks, your baby's inner ear has matured adequately for sound to be processed into neural signals to the brain. The first part of the cochlea to develop is responsible for receiving lower-sound frequencies. As your baby develops, he will gradually be able to recognize and respond to higher sound frequencies. Over the next three weeks, your baby's responsiveness to sounds will gradually increase. At first the responses are slow and sluggish, but by 25 weeks he will react to a range of sounds by moving around.
In addition to being responsible for your baby's hearing, the inner ear also controls his balance. Small fibers within three semicircular canals of the inner ear are able to sense acceleration in any direction, providing the sense of motion and balance. Floating in the amniotic fluid is similar to weightlessness and, although your baby is very active, he has no sense yet of moving up and down.



Also, don't forget to SPRING your clock forward!  I LOVE the Spring time change!  I love that it stays light for longer at night!  I can't stand it when it gets dark at 6pm!  SO YAY for day light savings time!

No comments: