Wednesday, February 8, 2012

You may be expecting...but not expecting this! Part 1

This pregnancy has been so different for me!  With Kellen everything was a dream!  No sickness, no fatigue, no mood swings, everything was perfect!  This time I am really experiencing what a real pregnancy is all about!!  So, I am going to start a new series on my blog.  It's called "You may be expecting....but not expecting this!" 

I was NOT expecting the common side effect of pregnancy called 
"pink toothbrush"!!! 
So basically, and this is kind of gross, I brush my teeth and when I spit, I spit out blood!  Can you image how freaked out I was when this first happened?  And it didn't just happen once, it kept on happening, everytime I brushed my teeth!  Now, I will admit, I am very hygienic.  I brush my teeth at least 3 times a day, and floss every morning and night and use mouthwash.  I take really good care of my teeth!!  What is going on!!!  After a couple of days of spitting out blood and quietly freaking out I had to consult google.  What I found was that I am normal!!  YES, I AM!  Google said so!  It's caused by pregnancy hormones resulting in swollen and inflamed gums that can bleed more easily.  If you experience "pink toothbrush" you should switch to a soft bristle toothbrush (I've always used medium) and/or use a mild toothpaste.

This was without a doubt something that I wasn't prepared for, but a wonderful experience learning about it.

Today is Wednesday, over the hump day.  Eh.  Just 2 more days until the weekend!!!

No comments: