Saturday, October 15, 2011

Maddie

I tried to blog about this yesterday, but every time I sat down, I got upset and cried.  On October 14, 2010 precious Madison Paige Staats was born, just 11 days before Kellen.  She is the most perfect and beautiful baby girl!  Her mommy and daddy love her so much!  And Kellie is an amazing and inspirational mommy.  On February 17, 2011 while at her babysitters, 4 month old Maddie went to be with Jesus.  She passed away from SIDS.  It was devastating and tragic.  I can't image the pain that her parents feel.  Kellie's story reminds me how precious life is and it makes me hug Kellen SO much harder and longer.  It makes me want to be the BEST mom I can be for him and protect him no matter what and no matter who might not like my over protectiveness of him.  I would rather be the overbearing and over protective mom than to ever have to go through what Kellie is going through.  The most devastating thing a mommy could go through.  I follow what is recommended to TRY and prevent SIDS, although we know SIDS isn't avoidable, and neither is God's plan, but there ARE ways to reduce the risks of SIDS.  The following information came straight from Kellie's blog http://kandjstaats.blogspot.com/.

1Back to sleep- NEVER place a baby in a crib on their stomach!

2.Use a firm sleep surface

3Keep soft objects and loose bedding out of the crib (blankets, stuffed animals ect..)

4. DO NOT USE BUMPERS (if you choose to do so..use breathable ones only!)

5. 
Do not smoke during pregnancy - Do not let your infant be around smoke at all!

6. 
A separate but proximate sleeping environment is recommended

7. 
Consider offering a pacifier at nap time and bedtime

8. 
Avoid overheating- Install a ceiling fan in the babies room. Put it on low.

9. 
Encourage “tummy time” when the infant is awake and observed.



After reading this information I followed it to a T!  And always will, even with our next baby.   I immediately bought an Angel Care monitor and used it until Kellen was 11 months old.  If you or you know someone with a newborn or a baby under the age of 1, please take the time to share this message and the information about SIDS.


God bless you Kellie, James and Madison.  We love you and pray that one day you can wake up with out crying over your loss and feel comfort in knowing that you ARE helping spread SIDS awareness.  Much love to you.


HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY MADDIE!!!!!!







No comments: